21 Direct Marketing Statistics You Need to Know
As a direct marketer, you use data every day to make the right decisions. You like knowing the numbers. We put together 21 direct marketing statistics you need to know.
1. Direct Mail Response Rate is 2.9% for Prospect Lists and 5.1% for House Lists. (Source: DMA Response Rate Report 2017)
Median Direct Mail Response Rates
2. Direct mail pulls a higher response rate than any digital direct marketing medium. (Source: DMA Response Rate Report 2017)
3. The three industries that use direct mail the most are Financial Services (Insurance), Nonprofit, and Publishing/Media. (Source: DMA Response Rate Report 2017)
- Financial Services (Insurance) - 89%
- Nonprofit - 75%
- Publishing or Media - 73%
4. 76% of consumers trust direct mail when they want to make a purchase decision. In fact, consumers trust traditional advertising channels more than digital channels when making a purchase. (Source: MarketingSherpa)
5. 36% of people under 30 look forward to checking the mail each day. (Source: 2015 Gallup Poll)
6. Intended response rate for First-Class mail is 13% and 11% for Standard mail. (Source: USPS Diary Study 2016, Table 5.10)
7. 75% of households usually read, scan, or read some of their direct mail advertising materials. (Source: USPS Diary Study 2016, Table A8-15)
8. Direct mail requires 21% less cognitive effort to process than digital media and elicits a much higher brand recall. In other words, it's easier to understand and more memorable. (Source: "A Bias for Action," Canada Post)
9. Direct mail's motivation response is 20% higher than digital media's, which means it's more persuasive. (Source: "A Bias for Action," Canada Post)
12. Almost three-quarters (73%) of companies agree that email offers "excellent" or "good" ROI. (Source: Econsultancy Email Marketing Industry Census, 2016)
13. "78% of consumers have unsubscribed from emails because a brand was sending too many emails." (Source: HubSpot, 2016)
14. Email has the highest ROI at 122% followed by social media (30%), direct mail (29%), paid search (23%), and online display (16%). (Source: DMA Response Rate Report 2017)
15. To maximize open rates, the best days to send emails are Monday through Thursday. The specific day depends on which study you reference.
- Monday has a 15.09% open rate according to Listrak.
- Tuesday has a 17.9% open rate according to Experian's Benchmark Report.
- Tuesday has a 19.9% open rate according to GetResponse's Study.
- Tuesday was the best day with 20% more opens than average according to Hubspot.
- Tuesdays and Wednesays have open rates of 10.7% according to MailerMailer.
- Thursday slightly wins out for open rates according to MailChimp's study.
- And according to Constant Contact, it varies depending on your industry.
16. The industries with the highest Click-to-Open Ratios are Online Advertising Network (44.90%), Finance/Banking/Insurance (36.09%), and Publishing/Media (31.48%). (Source: GetResponse)
Data and Data Quality
17. 97% of participating companies reported suffering from common errors associated with contact data. (Source: Experian Data Quality’s 2015 Data Quality Benchmark Report)
18. 32% of participating companies reported having duplicate contact data. (Source: Experian Data Quality’s 2015 Data Quality Benchmark Report)
19. Every 30 minutes 120 business addresses change, 75 phone numbers change, 15 company names change, 20 CEOs leave their jobs, 10 businesses close, and 30 new businesses are formed. (Source: Gaining the Data Edge; D&B, The Sales & Marketing Institute International)
20. B2B contact data expires at a rate of 2.1% per month. (Source: MarketingSherpa)
21. Fifty-two percent "of over-performers say that their organizations leveraged data and analytics to improve marketing effectiveness compared to just 35 percent of under-performers." (Source: DM News)
If you're interested in boosting your direct marketing results, subscribe to our newsletter below. You'll receive news, knowledge, and special offers.
Or, if you want help right away, contact us today!